The sciatic nerve is the largest nerve in the body, starting in the low back extending through the buttocks and down the leg to the ankle and foot. Sciatic nerve pain refers to the pain that radiates from your back down buttocks and leg.
What are the causes of sciatic nerve pain?
Sciatic nerve pain is a symptom of a problem. If you are suffering from sciatic nerve pain there is something irritating or putting pressure on the nerve roots associated with the sciatic nerve. The underlying conditions that could be causing sciatica pain include:
- Bulging disc or ruptured disc
- Spinal stenosis
- Bone spurs
- Pinched nerve
- Trauma or accident
What are sciatica symptoms?
Sciatica symptoms include the following:
- Burning, numbness, or tingling pain radiating from the lower back down the backof the leg
- Sitting or standing for long periods of time make the pain worse
- Walking or lying down tend to relieve the sciatica pain symptoms
How is sciatic nerve pain diagnosed?
Sciatica pain is diagnosed by a physical exam and review of your medical history. However, there are also additional tests that may be needed. Those tests include:
- CT scan (Computerized tomography scan)
- MRI (magnetic resonance imaging)
What are sciatica treatments?
Sciatica treatments depend on the underlying cause of the sciatica pain. However, the sciatica treatments may include the following:
- Pain medications
- Muscle relaxants
- Opioid analgesics
- Heat and cold
- Physical therapy
- Injections such as Epidural injections
- Bed rest
For additional information sciatic nerve pain please call Southeast Pain and Spine Care to schedule an appointment with one of our pain management doctors.